If you aren’t a nerd then you probably had no idea that a major gaming and electronic convention was going on during the beginning of this week. Then again, you probably aren’t reading this post either because of that same reason… Hm… Well then, since no introductions are in order, let me just dive right in.
This year’s main events at E3 can be more or less summed up by what the three big hitters (Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo) had to show off at their conferences. To sum up, everyone thinks they are the best in the biz, the one to do it first, the one to bring the best and newest technology to the masses… Blah blah blah. Tooting their horns aside, all three can be summed up as follows: motion controls, exercise, sports, 3D, and a new 250 gb XBOX 360 (I write that last bit glaring at the 360 I have now, which is the result of 3 separate red ring incidents). Now you know everything you need to! … Just kidding. Well, partially. If you want to get a full break down of the press conferences of the big three then be sure to check out Zac’s write up here. As for me, well, I am all about the gaming aspect of the show. Which brings about this glorified Suggestion Box. Here is what I was excited by:
- Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood – (360/PS3/PC) – After a short cinematic preview of the game during the Ubisoft Press Conference (click here) we were treated to a gameplay video, and surprisingly it looks better than ever before, mixing more cinematic elements into the gameplay, making minor adjustments to the combat, and adding horse riding through the cities (!!!). I know what you are thinking; my excitement for this is a little much. I agree. Oh, and multiplayer is being introduced into the game. As all of my friends know I would much rather play a campaign then the multiplayer aspect, but following a viewing of this walkthrough I have no doubt that this is one I could definitely get into. Check it out here.
- Bulletstorm – (360/PS3/PC) – Of all the first person shooters, including Medal of Honor and Crysis 2, the one game that I was actually impressed with the most was Bulletstorm. As opposed to the average FPS that was shown, this was quite refreshing in its look, ridiculous dialog, and gameplay. The trailer is kind of lame for it, so here’s part of what they showed on stage during the EA Press Conference. That way you can also see some of the ways to attack a bad guy and hear the ridiculous dialog. Check it out here.
- Dead Space 2 – (360/PS3/PC) – Though I have no interest in playing this because just watching my roommate play the first scared me enough, I will definitely recommend it for those who aren’t as chicken as I am. Check out the trailer here.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns – (Wii) – Though it might not be as exciting as bringing back GoldenEye, Donker Kong is back as well in his good ol’ form. Check it out here.
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Trailer – (360/PS3) – The more I see from this game, the more excited about it I become. From what I read, it seems as if the relationship between the two characters is going to be rather important and more than just keeping the damsel in distress alive thanks to the option of giving her certain commands to help out given the situation. Plus the combat, platforming, animation and characters seem to be really solid as well. Check out the newest trailer here.
- Fable III – (360/PC) – Though I was a little disappointed that the video shown for Fable III didn’t really reveal anything new coming to the Fable series, but rather more of the same old same old (which seemed like a theme for Microsoft’s sequel heavy conference), I still can’t help but love the Fable series. Check out the trailer here.
- Gears of War 3 – (XBOX 360) – Pretty much what you would expect from this series, but the demo showed off the 4 player co-op and newer breed of baddies. Check out some of the gameplay here.
- Ghost Recon: Future Soldier – (360/PS3/Wii/PC/PSP/DS) – The demo shown presents both the stealth and the straight up gun fighting of the game, and though I don’t know why I wouldn’t just go through the whole thing using my invisibility cloak, the shooter stuff looks pretty fun. If you only want to see some video footage of the game to see how it looks and plays, then start the video at 3:20. Click here!
- GoldenEye 007 – (Wii) – A new GoldenEye! Oh the memories… I remember convincing my dad that I was old enough to own the original game… This time around looks like Daniel Craig will be lending his likeness to the game, but some of my favorite moments from the first seem to be making a reappearance, such as dropping down on someone when he are sitting on the toilet. Meh heh heh… I just wish it wasn’t Wii exclusive.
- Halo: Reach – (XBOX 360) – Though I am not obsessed with the multiplayer aspect of the game like most players are, I still like this franchise for the campaign aspect. And looks like they are adding a new dimension to this game, which numerous fans on the message boards are dubbing Halo: Star Fox. Check out the official trailer here.
- Infamous 2 Trailer – (PS3) – Not only does the main character Cole have a different look, but he can control ice now too? You would think that water and electricity coursing through the human body together would be a big no no… but could lead to some more interesting electrocutions. “Oh hello kind sir. Don’t mind me as I flood this room. Uh… could you please step into that puddle? Why thank you, sucka!” Check out the trailer here.
- Killzone 3 – (PS3) – Yet another FPS and game series I have never played. But there is a jet pack in this one, basically screaming how cool it is. That’s right, that was only half sarcastic, cuz I take my jet pack’s pretty seriously. Check out the trailer here, which shows off a lot of the gameplay action.
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – (Wii) – With the next installment to the Zelda series the wii control will be fully integrated into the control of the sword, which means no more flicking when you can full on swing. In other words, no need to contain your excitement to wield Link’s sword. Check it out here.
- Metal Gear Solid: Rising – (360/PS3/PC) – Another fan favorite franchise that I wasn’t overly impressed with since I jumped in late with the 4th game. It was good, but far too little gameplay for me, making it a more or less boring experience. However, it’s hard not to want to stick around for a little more Metal Gear after seeing the trailer for the new game Metal Gear Solid Rising. I mean, there are swords that allow you to go into slowmo hack and slash mode! Who doesn’t want that? Check out the trailer here.
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit – (360/PS3/Wii/PC) – I was never too big on racing games, but the one series I was always willing to check out was Need for Speed. At least until they started pushing them out one after the other, moving further and further away from what the series started as. But now Hot Pursuit seems to be going back to the beginning, featuring campaign modes where you can play as both a racer and a cop. Check out the trailer here.
- Portal 2 – (360/PS3/PC/Mac) – Yet another game that I regret never playing before, but after seeing this trailer I am definitely going to go back and give the first one a try. Check it out fore yourselves here.
- Shank – (360/PS3/PC) – Check out this new video that shows off the art style and a little bit of the gameplay of the action/adventure side-scroller Shank, which will hopefully be available for download sometime soon. Check it out here.
- Spec Ops: The Line – (360/PS3/PC) – Another war game, but the trailer is enough to get me intrigued. Check it out for yourselves here.
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 – (360/PS3/PC/Wii/PSP/DS) – Yet another sequel to a game I still have on my list of things to do. I am starting to feel like a failure. But you know what will make me feel better? An amazing cinematic trailer. YAY! Check it out here.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – (PC) – Though I am not a fan of the MMOs, as I said for The Force Unleashed these Star Wars games sure have some amazing cinematic trailers. Watch it here.
So there you go. Sure, the number of links is probably a little bit overwhelming, but if you are a gamer then they are worth your time because it seems like a lot of stuff is coming up in the near future that you will not want to miss. So do yourself a favor and press them! Peer pressure!